Re: PR for playground

Hi Adrian,

In my experience the general goal is to address governance, and I think the
list is far more than 4. For me the negative example is e-commerce
exchanges. There were something like 10,000 of thee created or proposed by
2000, the most visible being Covisint, and every industry, every large
corporate, had their own proposals. Within a few years 10,000 out of 10,000
had crashed. What we have instead now are a few large commercial
organisations (eg Amazon, Alibaba).

Governance is needed particularly when things go wrong, when things need to
be fixed, and when things need to be updated. Standards are a strong
governance mechanism. For comparison I look at the Internet, which (and
this can be debated) has no central point of control, but for which we can
find around 300 governance organisations around the world.

The views of what will be standardised tend to reflect the views of how
important blockchain will be to the future of technology. Coming from a
data comms background I would love to see agreement on a protocol stack,
but most of the diagrams I see are less linear. In particular I am keen on
international common approaches, because the hard problems that blockchain
solves (eg in supply chain) are usually multi-jurisdictional ones. If there
isn't a standard, it is that much harder to have a global application.

I wear two hats in this area, participating in the Standards Australia
IT-041, which is the secretariat for the ISO TC307 (meeting next week in
Sydney), as well as chairing the IEEE SIG. There seems to be good
cross-initiative cooperation at the moment. My recent background is
financial services for a large bank (trade, payments, correspondent
banking), but in a past life I also worked in health informatics, so I am
involved in some pharma work. For much of my life I have worked in aspects
of supply chain.

Regards, Greg
Dr Greg Adamson
Principal, Digital Risk Innovation