Re: Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2016-03-29

Hey Melvin,

On 03/30/2016 04:00 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 30 March 2016 at 01:40, Kaliya IDwoman <kaliya-id@identitywoman.net
> <mailto:kaliya-id@identitywoman.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>      You don't know me....but you might have heard of me..I'm Identity
>     Woman.
>      I have watched many many identity efforts arise and fall in the
>     last 12 years
>

> Hi!  Yes, I am familiar with your work :)
>

>      I am a bit surprised to hear OpenID Connect and SAML as failures
>     in the space - they actually work and are widely adopted.  They
>     provide ways to exchange various types of information about people
>     between different business entities.
>
>     The problem you are seeking to solve is not an easy one to solve
>     and there have been many, many different attempts. There are some
>     interesting ongoing efforts that are different but related such as
>     the Trust Elevation TC at OASIS.
>

> Do you think OASIS may be any closer at this point to aligning their
> work with the W3C's work at LInked Data.
>
> The last time I evaluated this there was still something of a gap.
> I've seen positive steps tho from folks like Paul Trevithick and more
> recently Marcus Sabadello (XDI)

Back then when Paul worked on Higgins, RDF and XDI were clearly two
different models.
We were basically using RDF to model digital identity, and then we built
an RDF-to-XDI mapping on top of that for data transfer and synchronization.

Today, the recent XDI Core working draft considers XDI an "extension" of
the RDF model, see the section "How XDI Builds On RDF" here:
http://xdi.org/xdi-spec-docbook/xdi/xdi-core-1.0/xdi-core-1.0-wd06.xml

So in theory XDI is "compatible" with RDF, but at the same time to be
honest, in practice there's no easy way to connect the two yet.