Re: Alternative terminology for "consumer"

On 3/29/16 9:50 AM, Stone, Matt wrote:
> "inquiring" and "accepting" are probably the closest verbs for what
> this party is doing in the transaction.  Neither term is very
> intuitive. -- one of the aspects of "consume" that I like is that of
> impermanence - the claim is consumed once it's verified.  If proof is
> needed again at a later date, it must be verified again.

Interesting. But isn't it true that there will be claims 'accepted'
for a declared period of time? Subscriptions, access for days or
weeks, hiring for a two month contract, etc. In these your credential
is accepted as part of an agreement that has responsibilities on both
sides, and one of those will be how long you are accepted for.

In this sense I disagree -- it's not instantly consumed. Rather it's
accepted for a period of time. It seems that's more direct English
usage than that it's 'consumed over and over and over' during that
period of time.

Whereas if you, say, purchase a bottle of wine, then your required
credential is indeed 'consumed' -- but 'accepted' would work just as
well there for me, whereas it wouldn't in the previous cases.

Steven Rowat