Re: Review of Group Charter - Editors Draft

On 3/13/16 7:46 PM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/charter/vcwg-draft.html
>
> PROBLEM STATEMENT
[snip]
>   * There is no portable and interoperable standard capable of
>     expressing and transmitting...

I have no trouble with adding 'portable and' there, but I don't see
that it's strictly necessary; IMO it's already implied by problem
statement 2 "...users can't easily change their service provider", and
made explicit in goal 2: "to ensure that users can move their
verifiable claims from one service provider to another".

But maybe you're right: since portability is a key reason why
Verifiable Claims are being developed as a standard, it probably
wouldn't hurt to put it there overtly.

> RE: 5.2 Other W3C Groups
>
> I do not see where LDP or RWW or related works are listed here.  Nor
> do i see ODRL: https://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/ODRL21 as was discussed in
> 2014:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2014Sep/0023.html

Re: ODRL:
If it's within the scope of Verifiable Claims to make use of policy
and intentions standards, so they can be set by the claims holder
and/or issuer (or other claims user), then agreed ODRL should be
listed since it's already in use and has recently entered a formal W3C
process for standardization. It might be a logical candidate to
plug-in as an extension for e-contracts.

And based on the current scope statement, it looks like it would fall
under
"3. Scope:...

"2. a note specifying how these data models should be used with
existing attribute exchange protocols, a recommendation that existing
protocols should be modified, or a recommendation that a new protocol
is required to address the problems stated earlier in this document. "

Though, perhaps this Scope ("existing attribute exchange protocols")
is only meant to refer narrowly to the exchange protocols required for
the 'claims' themselves, and not  meta-data about the claims, which
ODRL might arguably be.

But perhaps that's too semantic. The meta-data intentions and
restrictions concerning the claim, versus the claim itself, will be
hard to distinguish from one another in practice, perhaps.

In other words...it seems to me that the holder's or issuer's (or any
other user's) decisions about how a claim can be used, as long as it's
viable within local law, should fall within "existing attribute
exchange protocols", and since ODRL has been developed specifically to
deal with this in a web-friendly and machine- and human-readable way,
it seems to fall within this scope. And hence would be good to mention
in the dependencies/liaisons.

Steven Rowat