Use-Cases - pseudo-anonymity examples

On 3/1/16 9:30 AM, msporny@digitalbazaar.com wrote:
> Manu Sporny:  Please send feedback on the mailing list, the
>    VCTF/Credentials CG/ or WPIG mailing list, whichever you have
>    access to.  ...[snip]...
> Manu Sporny:  So also feedback on the use cases.

+1 to Pseudo-Anonymity remaining as an "Essential" claim as now
provided in the Use Cases document. I'd be very distressed if it was
chopped for any reason. Glad to see it still there! :-)

But... in support of that: to get future readers of the document to
agree on its importance, I believe the single scenario given (June
going to buy a bottle of wine and not wishing to divulge anything
other than age) doesn't adequately convey the scope of why this is
essential, society-wide.

I'm thinking of the more specific 'protection from known danger'
scenarios, such as: journalists reporting from countries that threaten
them with death, scientists whistleblowing from corporate crime,
novelists writing about their own dysfunctional social milieu.

Any of these scenarios may be of large value to the society, and to
work best, or work at all in some cases, they require that we can
identify the origin of the conveyed information as trustworthy without
needing the originator to broadcast publicly their personal contact
information.

June and the bottle doesn't convey those use-cases for me, although
it's technically still a pseudo-anonymity. It's important also, but
different. So I think we need at least one of each kind.

Steven Rowat