Re: Proof of possession

On 14/06/2016 15:59, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 06/14/2016 10:34 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
>> And if I do not want to register a subject ID, can I simply use my
>> public key as my subject ID and submit the same string twice?
>
> In theory, yes.
>
> In practice, no one has built out that kind of system because it doesn't
> address many of the use cases we have. Some see it as an evolutionary
> dead end - it's great for pseudo-anonymity, but doesn't address the vast
> majority of multi-origin use cases we have.

I agree that with multiple credential issuers (I assume that is what you
mean by multi-origin) some sort of correlating handle is needed in order
to prove that all the credentials belong to me.

So I see why a registered globally unique ID is useful to solve this
problem.

But if I had a public key specifically minted for one requester/relying
party, and all my issuers would bind my claims to this, then I could
prove possession of all credentials to this requester/relying party. And
I would not actually need to register this public key anywhere as I can
always prove possession.

regards

David