Re: VOTE: Verifiable Claims Terminology

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 at 04:23 Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> > On 11 Jun 2016, at 19:49, David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
> wrote:

> two
> >>
> >> There are multiple use cases we want to support. One of them involves
> >> the ability to share a common identity with multiple parties. That
> >> doesn't mean that you *must* do this, it just means that you can.
> >
> > The way I would model this is by having a claim that contains a unique
> > correlating ID, such as a passport number claim (that when signed by a
> > government authority becomes a credential). The id of a credential
> > should not uniquely identify its holder as in your cat example. This
> > should be explicitly ruled out of the model, so that correlation cannot
> > slip in by mistake. Correlation should be a positive act, by providing a
> > correlating claim/credential.
>
> I have a feeling that in this discussion there needs to be some careful
> initial work on semantics done, or else there is a danger that the group
> will have to labor to re-invent the semantic web, and that could take
> decades.
>
> It would be worth considering the following picture:
>
> https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/identity/#overview
>
> which shows how URIs denote things, directly and indirectly. (this limits
> itself to HTTP(s) uris, for simplicity)
>
> ATM that's not working so now, it's being pushed in no insignificant way -
an array of block-chain alternatives.  Their not using HTTP URI's. It's a
satoshi solution, not a 'native' or 'open web' being WWW or W3C orientated
solution.

The idea i've got is to create WebID-DHT - in which the Distributed
documents are shared within social-context, as to limit the distribution
and therefore the size of the file whilst having controllable
social-context to protecting the resource.

I find some very old friends still have copies of my very first business
card, even when i've lost all the copies i had myself.

> Then you can quite easily see how public keys can denote agents indirectly
> via a relation ( a definite description as Bertrand Russel would have put
> it).
> A public key cannot denote an agent directly, because it denotes a public
> key!
>
> Yes.  But the UX for the desktop browser is terrible - not because it
needs to be, but rather, because that's where it's at with browser buy-in
and support.

so, having a WebID-TLS experience that relates to the machine account, or
indeed in a differentiated way for a TV, or Phone - all sorts of devices
are compatible with the TLS method...   I think is great!

just not a magic bullet, which is a bit similar to the situation of creds.

> So I think what needs to be done is work on:
>   - denotation/reference
>   - meaning
>   - description
>
> I think the scope is narrowing and/or shifting, and we need to figure out
what this part / group / undertaking is doing; and how the other stuff we
know needs to exist - can be developed.

> and then the further part which is signatures of statements...
>
> This way one does not need to make decisions about whether people use an
> identity across sites, etc.. which is going to be up to each applicaiton
> and use case. What is needed is just to distinguish claims, who make them
> by reference to a direct identifier or a definite description.
>
> I'd be cautious with the concept of 'reinventing the semantic web' as it's
being continually reinvented - I think your meaning was that it is
important for people to understand that body of work rather than trying to
reinvent something that has already been done.

Amongst the fastest ways to tutor people about how these things may work in
future is: https://github.com/solid/solid  - i can tutor people through it
if they need some help and are interested.

another is to look at the search interface: http://dbpedia.exascale.info/
by typing in a known concept or famous name.

https://credly.com/ has a rather well developed initial implementation of
verifiable claims / credentials.

I see a mix of things emerging and guess, the question is how do they all
fit together...?

Tim.H.