Re: VOTE: Verifiable Claims Terminology

On 11/06/2016 18:20, Steven Rowat wrote:
> On 6/11/16 4:27 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
>> It would appear to be so from the cat example that Dave gave (that
>> unfortunately has been cut out of your reply), in which the cat has
>> two different profiles but the same ID (because it refers to the
>> same cat). I think this is the wrong design, because we have now
>> created linkability between two separate profiles (or pseudonyms)
>> that I might have sent to two different relying parties. By using a
>> common ID for two different identity profiles we produce a
>> correlation handle for the relying parties.
>>
>> Your later conclusion that the IDs should be different seems to be
>> right approach to me, but this conflicts with Dave's approach
>
> Agreed. I hope Dave will comment further.
>
> But also needed is a way for the government and police to find out who
> the ultimate source entity of the pseudonymous profiles is, for
> crime/terrorism/tax monitoring (with the appropriate warrant from a
> judge, of course). So to refer again to my later version of the John,
> Alfred, Bob example:
>
>>> What actually happens is that [John's pseudonyms] Alfred and Bob are
> *pre-registered*
>>> with ids, before anything else can happen. Then:
>>>
>>> Alfred Identity Profile contains:
>>>
>>> Bob Identity Profile contains:
>
> But in addition to these two unique ids of Alfred and Bob there needs to
> pre-exist a separate and unique id registry of John and of the fact that
> the id registries of Alfred and Bob are aliases of the John id.

It is better if this registry is distributed rather than centralised.

> In other words, in some (secure) registry the code for John might
> already include something like:
>
> John Profile contains:
> "id" : "<id [of John] from the identifier registry>"
> type: 'Identity'
> "id": "<id [of Alfred] from the identifier registry>"
> type: "pseudonym"
> name: Alfred
> "id": "<id [of Bob] from the identifier registry>"
> type: type: "pseudonym"
> name: Bob
>
> Or, perhaps the connection could be made within the 'Alfred' and 'Bob'
> profiles, rather than the John one, which would not contain them. Then
> finding out that, say, Alfred = John would not also entail finding out
> that Bob = John. I'm not sure which way the legal requirements would fit
> best.
>
> Yet this alias connection must remain hidden unless accessed by a warrant.
>
> How that can be carried out securely in code I have no idea.  ;-)

If the information is distributed and held by several different sources,
e.g. each credential issuer knows the pseudonymous ID it has issued, as
well as one of the user's actual or government issued IDs, then it would
need law enforcement to contact them all in order to link them together.
I dont think we need to have one unique ID for each user. Today I have
several e.g. passport number, driving licence number, social security
number. Each are unique, and each identifies me in the respective
government database. But they are not necessarily linked together by any
one of them.

regards

David