Identity (was: Re: SAMPLE ballot for terminology vote)

With regard to the Identity.  i've got two points.  one is a way of
thinking about it, the other is a suggested term 'entity' which is less
important than the way of thinking about how to label this data container /
identifier.

If we agree that legal entities are responsible for agents, whether they've
been issued to machines or otherwise, then we've got incorporated legal
entities and natural legal entities - i'm not sure if their are any others?
 what about countries? I figure the controller would still be a legal
entity where applied to the notion of 'actor'

A.I. and other smart machines may in-turn become actors, but they're not
legally responsible.

So therefore; i'm thinking the term 'Entity' as apposed to 'identity'.

We can't really independently provide 'identity' to humans, the foundation
layer actors of any systems produced.  I think we are working on that - but
it's still an unsolved problem for WWW/Linked-Data/Web 3.0.

TimBL / Vint Cerf / Others are talking about that kinda thing now:
http://www.decentralizedweb.net/

Credentials relates specifically to the issuance of a verified claim - that
is - something that an entity or coordinated group of entities (say,
employee's within a company) says about another entity.

the 'entity' concept is therefore considered as a legal short-hand method
for denoting 'legal entity', which in-turn means if the 'identity' goes
astray, we're not misappropriating the rights of person - but rather - some
'thing' that is clearly denoted as an 'entity' for which it pertains to a
particular legal entity (inferring ownership / property rights).

Thoughts?

Tim.h