Re: Request for terminology input - consumer/inspector/TBD Credential

On 08/06/2016 04:00, Manu Sporny wrote:
> We discussed terminology on the Verifiable Claims Task Force call today
> and left two things undecided. We really need to get this terminology
> straight in order to align the prose in all of the documents. As a first
> step, we need to get all of the options on the table.
>
> -------
>
> We have a block in our architecture block diagram that is currently
> labeled as "inspector":
>
> http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/architecture/architecture.svg
>
> This is the entity that requests a set of verifiable claims from the
> holder and examines them to determine if they are valid for the purposes
> of granting access to a particular resource. Naming options include:

I would like to add

Relying Party : the entity that wishes to rely or depend upon the
Credentials that it has received

> Consumer

not liked due to confusion with B2C

> Inspector

Does not indicate why the entity has received the credential. Implies a
type of police action. Negative connotations.

> Reader

Any entity could be a reader. Does not indicate that it needs to depend
upon or verify the credential

> Verifier

Not bad, but verification is only a subset of the functionality of the
relying party.

> Receiver

Does not indicate any intention to rely on the credentials. A relay
could be a receiver but not necessarily the ultimate destination of the
credential.

regards

David