Re: Web Payments IG approves Verifiable Claims to proceed to W3C Management

On 14 July 2016 at 12:59, Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:31:13 +0200, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
> wrote:
>
> We know of the following modification requests to the charter:
>>
>> 1. Constrain the charter to Education only.
>>

> This strikes me as a very bad idea.
>
> It makes sense to suggest that the charter *focus* on Educational Industry
> needs, and requires that the solution is relevant there. But any approach
> to standards that suggests different industries *should* have different
> standards to solve the same problem is short-sighted and IMHO desctructive.
>
> It may well turn out that different approaches are the appropriate answer
> to the needs of say the Education and the Credit rating industries. But to
> assert that a priori seems foolish.
>
> 2. Demonstrate that the charter is not competitive to JSON Object
>>    Signing and Encryption Web Tokens (JOSE JWT).
>>

> Why is this important?
>
> 3. Remove or greatly narrow the overarching problem statement
>>    about self-sovereign ecosystem and goals from the charter.
>>
>> The anticipated next steps for the Verifiable Claims Task Force and
>> Credentials Community Group are:
>>
>> 1. Determine if we want to constrain the charter to Education only.
>>

> At this stage I am opposed to such a constraint. To the extent that I
> would strongly consider a formal AC objection to it in a charter review.
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

+1 to everything Chaals said

I wasnt entirely clear what constrained to education meant.  It seems to me
the nature of VC is that it is based on URIs / names which can be reused in
multiple scenarios.  If it means that the language of use cases and charter
are oriented towards education.  I could live with that.