Re: Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2016-02-09

Hi Steven,

I think you’d get a lot of push-back from registrars if you asserted that the student is the owner of the student record.  In their view, and this is the traditionalist view but the dominant view, the university owns the degree certification but is obligated to release it at the wishes of the student and further constrained by FERPA.  (Lots google-able about FERPA).

For example, it’s common practice to only release transcripts if the student is paid up on their tuition.  That’s not a good indicator that the student owns the transcript.

Note however that there is a growing counter-trend driven by distance-learning, MOOCs, competency-based education that is building a case for a meta-owner of the student record.  But I think it’s important that our nomenclature stays out of this controversy.

John