Re: Revised Verifiable Claims WG Charter (RC-2) (was Re: Problem statement)

I will try.  I wanted to expand on something I said earlier though:  If you
are concerned about the keeping sensitive information private, Verifiable
Claims is not for you.  Any information, once shared, is revealed.  You can
express your intent with regard to the use of the information. You can
express your desires on how long the data should be around or with whom it
can be shared, but you cannot enforce it.  The value proposition for
Verifiable Claims is the "V" part.  That an inspector can be 100% confident
in something you claim (assuming the issuer is in the inspector's trust
chain somewhere).

What we started debating here was about what privacy-enhancing means.  What
I should have said earlier was that the Working Group will define exactly
what that means.  Part of the job of a formal activity like this is to
balance the needs of users with technological capabilities. We should not
presuppose any solution.  That was my bad.

So, getting back to the core discussion...  Our use cases [1] imply a lot
of core functionality.  Decomposability is NOT actually implied in there.
I just re-read the document.  Composability IS implied.  And all that means
is that, given a collection of claims (at whatever level of granularity) I
as a holder MUST be able to group together some of these, express my intent
about how they should be used, and sign the group.  Let's call this a
"credential".

Once that credential exists, I can pass that to an inspector.  The
inspector then presumably knows whatever they needed to know, and they can
verify the individual claims that make up the credential I sent to them.

Ideally, when I am issued a digital claim, it is a collection of VERY
FINELY GRAINED claims, each of which was signed by the issuer.  Then I have
the ability to create my credential in exactly the way I want.

I suppose it is possible that there will be issuers who will not do this.
They will issue a big claim to me.  The US State Department could issue a
digital passport that contained ALL of the relevant information (including
an embedded PNG of my face and a link to some magic blockchain thing onto
which all of my passport transactions would be written).  In that case, I
would probably only choose to share that with governments.  I wouldn't use
it at the liquor store.

But I digress.  I will go play in the playground and see if can do what you
have asked.  I will try to start from examples in our data model document
[2] and go from there.

[1] http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/use-cases/
[2] http://www.opencreds.org/specs/source/claims-data-model/

--