Re: Problem statement

with all due respect;

Who are you without a government issued birth certificate? where can you
travel without a government issued passport?

A nonsense alternative doesn't help provide diversity, particularly where
that may be considered by the uninitiated, a 'Polarized' alternative,
rather than perhaps what may be a diversification of utility approach by
what is created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRGhrYmUjU4
https://vimeo.com/30416090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qByftcYTP3E
http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_berners_lee_a_magna_carta_for_the_web

The long-term works of RWW[1], CrossCloud[2] and more recently SoLiD[3] led
off less structured works perhaps best referenced by TimBL's Design Issues
[4] notes, alongside others such as Ted's Xanadu works [5] all highlight
something that is very different to the RDBMS past as is in-part considered
in TimBL's presentation about the evolution of Web Science [6] and
certainly also the evangelism provided by Kingsley as may be discovered in
various notes [7].

The WebID[8] group / concept is something that founded my initiation into
W3C CG Land, and whilst it is my belief that on a scientific level - a TLS
certificate embedded in a machine - denotes the machine, rather than some
other formatted FOAF document; we have not as yet, despite best efforts by
all involved; been able to build a bridge that highlights the opportunity
defined for the most-part by Manu - in the potential use of
HTTP-SIGNATURES[9] and Web-DHT [10] to provide contributory solutions
towards the previously noted / referenced solutions that are emerging as
alternatives to traditional 'web 2.0' architecture, something that has been
well-authored by the likes of Jeff Sayre [11] with modern mindfulness of
both LDP [12] and the works towards LDP Next [13].

IMHO; we're in the engine room...   Lets make sure it works ;)

'walking with footsteps, in the presence of god' - i don't care which book
or means in which that is meaningful to humans...

An alternative to 'agent' is possible IMHO; and i think compatibility with
that potential future, is something that is sought by at least some of the
parties involved.  I think many people are doing their best to contribute
towards something that is bigger than what they're capable of doing without
being inclusive; i'm simply attempting to suggest a better structure around
how a more positive outcome may be achieved.

prior to the evolution, let alone the establishment of the credentials
group - WebID TLS was a very big thing.  Times have changed and we have the
means to adapt and support what we know to be possible...

perhaps as noted previously; a 'call for papers' around seeking from the
organisational / academic world; their definition of 'identity' from a 'web
science' viewpoint, may be really very, very helpful for a multitude of
important stakeholders who are charged with a very difficult task; in
progressing this work for the betterment of humanity.

Tim.H.

[1] https://www.w3.org/community/rww/
[2] http://crosscloud.org/
[3] http://solid.mit.edu/