Re: Solutions to the NASCAR problem?

> On 23 Nov 2015, at 16:52, David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Henry
>
> replace authentication with authorisation then what you say is correct.
> All your 4 credentials are authz ones

This is how I see things from my experience programming these systems.

Authentication
==============

 is a process of verifying the authorship of some statements:
  a) that the statement is about the user presenting them
  b) that the statement was really made by some other agent

For example:

1. with HTTP Signatures, an nice minimal RFC, which I have implemented
on the client and server https://github.com/solid/solid-spec/issues/52
the statement of the client is that he is in possession of the private
key corresponding to the public key identified by a URI known to the
server. My server looks if the key can be dereferences to find the key,
allowing a key to be used cross origin. But this would also work for
single origin keys.

2. with WebID authentication ( over TLS see https://webid.info/ ) the
X509 certificate can be self signed or not.

 a- The Server could just verify that the client has the private key of the
  public key in the certificate, and use the public key as an identifier
  as FIDO does.

 b- If it is self signed then the server needs to verify that the public key
  in the certificate is actually published from the WebID profile. This
  would give the server another verified claim.

 c.  If the certificate were  signed by some other entity ( a CA or
some entity with a Issuer Alternative Name WebID ) then the server could
verify also that the issuer actually signed the statements.

3. with OpenID the openid verification steps need to be followed and one then
  ends up with the claim that the user is identified by the OpenId.

I call these identity Statements Principals and user can be identified by
any number of them, forming a Subject.

 see:  https://github.com/read-write-web/rww-play/blob/bfa76510b44cdcc7acb003ac004809d89f4632f0/app/rww/auth/AuthN.scala#L35

We could have the following Principals:
  - PublicKeyPrincipal(publickey),
  - WebIDPrincipal(webid)
  - WebKeyPrincipal(webkey),
  - OpenIdPrincipal(openid),
  - and more

In order to enhance my code for Credentials I would also want to add to the Principal a
space for a credential that would be a statement about the Principal made by some other
Subject. For WebID and WebKey at the moment we just fetch these statements from the web,
but they could be passed by the client too. If we had those then these statements would
also be authenticated as having been made by the issuer.

Authorization
=============

 Once the server has a list of Principals ( and signed claims ) it can verify if anyone one of them is authorized for the action requested (GET, PUT, PATCH, POST, SEARCH, ... ) on the resource. This is the Authorization step.

To do this the server looks at the WebAccessControl resource for the resoruce requested. This resource could state what properties the subject must be proven as having for him to access
the given resource in the given mode.

The code to do this is not that long, and it can be done asynchronously in a reactive
fashion. Here is code that does both WebID and WebKey authentication:

https://github.com/read-write-web/rww-play/blob/bfa76510b44cdcc7acb003ac004809d89f4632f0/app/rww/ldp/auth/WACAuthZ.scala#L56

Later I will add PublicKey, e-mail, openId, and other methods to tie into the existing
protocols.

The WebAccessControl resource could specify also who it trusts with claims for a
given statement. This would then allow very flexible trust networks to be build,
as described in the previous mail, and get us out of the sclerosis that we have
with fixed Certificate Authorities. It is then up to the resource's ACL to state
how much it trusts statements made by different authorities. After all it is unlikely
that all of us will agree as to who to trust. Here we have a protocol that gives
maximum flexibility to all.

Auth
====

This is the process that ties Authentication and Authorization together. This is
just one small function:

https://github.com/read-write-web/rww-play/blob/bfa76510b44cdcc7acb003ac004809d89f4632f0/app/rww/play/ResourceManager.scala#L187-L187

Notice that because TLS auth can happen after the connection, we can try that after
having tried http auth.