Re: Solutions to the NASCAR problem?

Hi Dave

your system has some similarities to one we developed 4 years ago under
the EC TAS3 project. I gave a demo and presentation at the W3C meeting
in Mountain View in 2011. The slides are here

http://www.w3.org/2011/identity-ws/slides/Chadwick.pdf

The technical details are in a paper I presented at the ARES conference
in 2013 (if anyone is interested). The system was based on SAML
assertions which were aggregated from multiple authorities. The protocol
however is not that important as subsequently I designed an alternative
based on UMA. It is the concepts and models that are more important.

However, things have moved on significantly since then. My latest design
is based on FIDO, and it does not need IdPs anymore. IdPs morph into
attribute authorities (AAs) as now they only assert user attributes
(credentials) for the user. The user can authenticate himself to the SP
and the AAs with his FIDO keys. Un/pws are no longer needed (unless you
use the U2F model instead of UAF).

Credentials are digitally signed by their issuers (AAs) so the trust
model is the same as yours.

No discovery of IdPs or AAs is needed, as AAs are recorded in the FIDO
metadata.

DIDs are now the users keys with SOP.

The user stores his credentials on his FIDO device and so has full
control of them.

I suspect this system is simpler than the one you describe below

regards

David