Re: Leveraging DNS and email addresses

On 03/27/2015 11:37 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 27 March 2015 at 15:53, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com
> <mailto:dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think we should:
>

> +0 controlled yes, tied to is inevitable, at least with http: and mailto:

+1, By "tied to" I meant bound in a way that cannot be changed. There
would certainly be a link at some point.

>     8. Protect people's privacy by obscuring the websites they log
>     into from their IdPs.
>

> +0 id rather use the term "Allow" here

+1

>     11. Ensure the authenticity of claims made in credentials can be
>     verified.
>

> -1 sometimes claims are in a state pending verification for example

To clarify, I meant that you can check that the claims (whatever they
may be) were made by a particular entity (digital signatures); I wasn't
referring to the veracity of the claims themselves.

>     In order to accomplish these goals, I think we should create
>     technology that:
>
>     1. Allows people to freely claim unclaimed identifiers and that
>     prevents claiming already-claimed identifiers.
>     2. Can resolve memorable information, such as an email address
>     (and possibly a password), to an identifier.
>     3. Allows people to provide credentials to websites and to receive
>     new credentials in a standard way.
>     4. Allows websites to request credentials from people where the
>     person need only enter an email address and password to be
>     redirected to their IdP of choice to be shown the request. The
>     email address and password are not sent to the website that
>     requests the credentials.
>     5. Implements login as the request and verification of a credential.
>     6. Allows people to permit services to non-interactively obtain
>     their credentials (eg: authenticated REST API).
>     7. Uses Linked Data to specify claims in credentials.
>     8. Uses a PKI to ensure the authenticity of claims made in
>     credentials.
>
>     There are more details to implementing all of these technologies,
>     but I do think that the Identity Credentials spec and the
>     identus.org <http://identus.org> demo cover most of these
>     concepts. We just need to do a better job of communicating that --
>     or improving where we fall short.
>

> +1, I think UI details should be out of scope of the core, and limited
> to case studies.  Each implementer can implement the UI as they
> prefer, and no one should impose their UI implementation details or
> workflow on another.

+1 to keeping UI details out of scope.

--
Dave Longley