Re: Leveraging DNS and email addresses

Take a moment to consider the user experience.
I am a person that wishes to register on a website and the website prompts
me for my online identity (or some cool name we give this thing eventually
and spend millions marketing it).

I am presented with a text box labelled "Online Identity" (or similar) and
optionally another labelled "One Time Pin (optional)".
(The OTP is a time-based OTP - see my response to Manu).

I enter my identity (an email address looking thing, a URL, a mobile
number, etc) and click "Register"
At this point the Credentials spec should tell the client how to use that
value to discover my IdP and through a combination of linked data documents
and possibly user prompts or redirects gather my identity data as required
and allowed.

If I enter an email address (email@something.com) and the website says
"Sorry, only URL's are allowed." because I was supposed to enter it as
"mailto:email@something.com" I consider our efforts to have failed.

Longer term we'd want the browser to do a lot of work in the background,
use stored identities and prompt the user which ones to use.