Re: Cool and casual credentials initiative

On 9 June 2015 at 01:05, Pindar Wong <pindar.wong@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 6:39 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 9 June 2015 at 00:32, Pindar Wong <pindar.wong@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> fwiw
>>>
>>> https://keybase.io/pindar
>>>

>> Nice, you may also be interested in onename e.g.:
>>
>> https://onename.com/chrisellis
>>

>> Also cointains a PGP key, but they have said they may be interested in
>> implementing linked data, in particularl, webid.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's also proprietary.  I'd love to see a free software
>> solution like this, that also includes web standards.
>>

> I fully agreed!
>
> I'm of the view that the blockchain-related community may be suffering
> from the 'galapagos syndrome.'
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A1pagos_syndrome> and could learn
> alot from both Web and IETF standards. In fairness, the group is only 6
> years old and we could find a better way to work together somehow. Perhaps
> by individual participation first and experience sharing where relevant
> (e.g. perhaps adopting a 'multi-stakeholder' approach in their ecosystem
> build). That said the energy in the disparate communities appears to me to
> be *amazing* -- both fresh and exciting... reminds me of the early days of
> the Internet where innovation appears to be happening *faster* (if only
> because we have the Internet to build on).

Yes, it takes time to understand what web standards offer.  I spoke to
slush from satoshi labs and he said that only after building mytrezor
website did the advantages of the web become more apparent.  Even among
people who want to follow standards, interop is hard.  Having spent the
last 1-2 years testing interop, you find people always leave out 1-2
details that become critical, and 99% will not prioritize fixing them.  The
main problem is that people think at least one of the W3C specs are wrong,
and will insert their own idea, here and there.  The horrible truth is that
timbl and the w3c had all the right specs all along, just no one (apart
from kingsley) read the details and implemented them.

The only community to date I've found that is really interested in interop
is webid, but even there every webid has its own unique challenges.