Re: Paper published on personal identity management

On 27 January 2015 at 14:21, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
wrote:

> Proposal for a "DataBox" to act as gatekeeper for personal information
>
> http://arxiv.org/pdf/1501.04737v1.pdf

Very interesting work, thanks for sharing.

This is exactly the kind of thing a few of us are hoping to build using web
standards.

I would personally use WebID for identity here, or an extended form of
webid which includes email etc., then some of the work from credentials for
serialization (JSON LD) and signatures.  For access control I'd hope to
reuse web standards developed here and with linked data platform, also the
W3C privacy interest group.  Authentication itself I would leave out of
scope other than for reference, because there's too many different
techniques to mandate any one.

What I feel is important is decentralization and complying with web
standards which are closely related, since one is motivated by the other
(im not sure how well the nymote.org stack will fair there -- im guessing
it wont pass a validator, but we'll see)

The idea of incentives is something new, and I like it.  This could perhaps
tie in with work elsewhere such as w3c payments and/or crypto currencies.

I like the focus in this paper on the user experience.  Putting a good UX
together with privacy aware web standards could appeal to a wide market
segment.