Re: [openbadges] Re: [ba-standard] Adding an identity extension to the assertion object

Mo, pleasure to read your post and glad to have your contribution to the
thread. Thanks for diving in. Decentralized-yet-verifiable is a highly
desirable feature for an identifier to be used in badge objects. I very
much agree with the importance of being skeptical about any approach that
requires a new huge centralized or federated system of identity
verification.

I am deeply skeptical of approaches that create global registries of badges
or complex centralized or federated systems to help map identifiers to
other identifiers. I don't really see what problem is actually solved by
creating either; at least I don't understand what is being described yet.

It would be my bias to:

   - Treat IssuerOrg objects that are separately hosted as separate
   issuers, even if several are identical, hosted on the same domain or point
   to the same 'url'.
   - Maybe allow badge objects to declare a JSON-LD '@id' as a canonical
   URL. (though I suspect a redirect would often be a more powerful approach
   that would not require any changes to the spec verbiage?)
   - When a badge object gives me a 301 Moved Permanently redirect, write
   software that could understand that both URLs should be considered to
   correspond to the redirected URL (I'd need to keep records of the original
   location in the database in order to not need to fetch it every time I came
   across a reference to it). Adds a little complexity to the software, but is
   likely worthwhile.
   - Explore extensions that would allow issuers to declare the
   relationships between different hosted badge objects transparently. Like
   endorsement, authorization-to-issue, "This other issuerorg file is also
   me", etc. As someone writing badge-consumer software, if I see any
   extension serving one of these purposes enter non-negligible use, I'll
   probably build support for it into the system.

If we're thinking of ambitious goals for the OBI, I think I share a goal
with many others of having a reliable public key infrastructure attached to
the badge ecosystem so that entities acting in their various roles as badge
issuers, earners, and consumers can prove with a signature that they are
the identity attached to the identifiers used in Badge Objects.

I'd like to allow the same type of identifier (whether it be an email
address, social profile url, public key) to be used as the identifier for
any and all of the issuer, earner & consumer roles. Any identifier needs to
be attached to a mechanism to verify whether the identifier corresponds to
the person you're talking to.

*Nate Otto, Developer*
concentricsky.com

(In other news, see my previous
post: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/openbadges/9ehU2V4ceME/1DRdwEpmcs0J
for the proposed draft badge endorsement extension that allows issuers to
endorse badge objects with their URL as globally unique identifier)