Re: No discussion of patents, was Re: Social AUTH Patent

On 08/06/2015 06:50 PM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> I'm Australian. Are you not allowed to read about knowledge in the
> U.S.?
>
> I have no awareness of the fears embodied within the breach of best
> practices, and certainly don't like that the first email from you to
> me, being scornful.

Hey Tim, I don't think there was any scorn intended. Sandro is,
rightfully, trying to protect the various groups dealing in this space.
If we were to have read the patent material that you had linked to, it
could expose the hundreds of mailing list participants to treble
damages[1]. There is a big difference in being sued for $5M USD and $15M
USD. :)

We absolutely should not read any patents or link to them in any of the
standards-based work we're doing. It has nothing to do w/ what /you/ can
do (your rights aren't being limited). It has to do with what you're
exposing the rest of the group to (in the US).

-- manu

[1]http://www.iplawalert.com/2013/03/articles/patent/treble-damages-for-willful-patent-infringement-become-elusive/

blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/