Re: Slides: High-level intro to Credentials (W3C TPAC)

On 23 October 2014 06:27, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> An unconference session has been proposed to introduce the W3C
> membership to the Credentials initiative on Wednesday at W3C TPAC:
>

> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2014/SessionIdeas#Credentials_on_the_Web_-_A_10.2C000ft_Overview
>
> There will be 500+ people in attendance at W3C and only around 40-50 of
> them will be able to make the Monday/Tuesday sessions that will cover
> Credentials. This introduction to Credentials will be for the other 450+
> attendees that may have an interest in the work we're doing here, but
> won't be able to attend. The slide deck is here:
>
> http://opencreds.org/presentations/2014/tpac-credentials/
>
> Please provide feedback on the slide deck before this coming Friday.
>
> Note that this presentation is different and more high-level/basic than
> the one that will be given to the Web Payments IG by the Credentials CG
> during Monday/Tuesday.

Nice slides!

It's the third time ive tried this demo and it still confuses me.  When
trying on firefox / ubuntu I am left filling out 2-3 forms and ending with
a login button that I cant get past.

Fundamentally it's quite possible, indeed common, to make high value claims
on the web.  Just put them on a website (preferably using HTTPS).  That's
good enough for the US govt and almost every major institute in the world.

Making these claims portable is a different matter.  This seems to be the
solution proposed here, modulo JSON LD.

So the aim of this group seems to separate the content from the medium to
make it portable and add signatures to verify.  A good idea!

I keep trying to find an identity that I can look and test with, at but I
can never seem to get one when trying to demo, nor have I ever been pointed
to one when asking for one.  So I'll try one more time.  Do you have an
example identity that can be looked at e.g. with curl, and in the browser?

Best I saw a flash of was @id = identus.com/Melvin Carvalho ... which seems
to think the document and the data are the same thing, which I think may be
problematic if the primary goal is portability ...