Re: Digital Signatures for Credentials

Having helped lead the planning of an enterprise integration platform built
on the JOSE technologies (realistically, just JWT was ready at the time), I
would add a couple points:

   1. JWT is very common in service account scenarios where the integrator
   needs a solid server-to-server credential store (i.e. Saleforce, Google,
   Microsoft).
   2. In these scenarios, integrators are dealing with some tough
   enterprise problems like user impersonation and service accounts. Are those
   topics considered as part of our JSON-LD as the digital signature method?
   Mind you those complexities are not easily put into specifications, so each
   vendor addresses them differently.
   3. Since it's so lightweight and easy to implement, there is little
   ability to add structure to the claims set. Sometimes the structure is
   valuable, other times it is a burden. You can add JSON Schema validation
   onto the JWT claim set (as one example), but at that point it's no longer
   simple to implement. JSON-LD may be a beneficial addition to the existing
   capabilities of JWT, even if it is not addressed here.

In my previous position, I had a goal to introduce JWE for our REST APIs to
correlate to the WS-* mechanism of signing and securing message payloads
because customers demanded stronger REST API security mechanisms. JWE
wasn't far enough along, but when we think of moving the world forward to a
better mean of identifying users for web application -- using HTTP versus
JSON is an interesting problem. When you look at WS-*, it was designed to
be protocol agnostic -- so HTTP signatures would not be a great fit because
other future protocols would be limited in their ability to use it. JOSE is
relatively immune to protocol specific bindings, so that may be something
you want to consider in the pros/cons list.

I don't have specific recommendations and always like the "better" thing,
but I did want to share a few things that makes the JOSE stack valuable to
systems integrators and helped spread it adoption so quickly.

Dale