Re: Missing op agreement warning

I'd prefer:

    !WARNING! - This Community Group has not adopted a Charter. W3C
    recommends that CGs create a Charter that defines the group's scope,
    deliverables, schedule, and the decision making process. Without a
    Charter, participants may not understand the rules under which the
    Chair is operating the CG.

I think "Operational Agreement" should be replaced with "Charter" in the
cg/bg process.  I think the term "Operational Agreement" is causing
confusion.  Everyone knows what a group Charter is.  An operational
agreement sounds more contractual, like it could require you have to
sign some other contract to participate.

more comments below ...

(I'm on vacation and likely would not see a response -- just waiting to
finish up something and then I'm gone until January)

On 12/6/2012 11:08 AM, Young, Milan wrote:
> In our last teleconference, I accepted an action item to produce a warning statement to be displayed in cases where the group has not adopted a "process guideline".  I am assuming this "process guideline" is meant to describe the "operational agreement" posted on [1].  Please find my draft below.
>
> !WARNING! -  This group has not adopted an Operational Agreement as recommended by the W3C.  Participants are advised to proceed with caution because there are few native guarantees for <link>principled</link> behavior which would otherwise be in place for W3C-sponsered activities.   The only hard requirement is that the group stays within the bounds of the Charter.

The CG process [1] says: "A Community Group may adopt operational
agreements (recorded, for example, in the form of a charter) that
establish the group’s scope of work, decision-making processes,
communications preferences, and other operations."  If they have a
Charter, they have an Operational Agreement and this warning does not
appear.  If "Charter" was being used here as a synonym for "Operational
Agreement" it would probably be better to just use 1 term.  I'd prefer
dropping "Operational Agreement" and the process calling it a "Charter".

I'm not comfortable with the "few native guarantees" wording.  I would
hope if there is any egregious behavior, W3C staff would close down a
CG.  I don't think we should give the impression that anything goes.

> If you are uncomfortable with this arrangement, please contact the group's chair(s) and request an Operational Agreement.  Keep in mind that only agreements explicitly contained in the posted Operational Agreement will be enforced.  Commitments made on the mailing list, for example, are non-binding.

The Charter could say the CG is going to create a particular spec and
the CG may discover there is no interested and not do it.  Or the
Charter could say it would ultimately propose a WG and it could turn out
there is no interest in that.  There isn't any general expectation that
anything like that would be enforced.  it could be a sign with other
information that there is a problem.  But, in and of itself, it isn't
necessarily anything wrong.   I don't think we should imply W3C is going
to be enforcing everything in a Charter. I think it should be left vague
exactly what the W3C can enforce, but it shouldn't imply it is everything.

In a WG where the requirements of a charter are clear. A WG can't go
outside the scope presented in a charter.   They can't create specs that
are out of scope.  If there are rules about how the group operates, they
have to obey those rules.  That's the type of thing that would always be
enforceable - because it's clearly something wrong if violated.  But
there are other deliverable type things that groups aren't necessarily
forced to actually do typically (though in some circumstances they could
be - if a group was making no progress for instance)