Suggestion re: Joining process

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:55:36PM +0000, public-council@w3.org wrote:
> With your support, W3C has launched the VIVO Open Research Networking Community Group and invites
> you to join the group.
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/vivo/join

Some suggestions...

Currently, it is possible to join a group only by clicking on a mailto: link.

Savvy users can view the link by hovering the cursor, and they can even parse
the link visually before clicking.  However, the "copy link" function of
browsers copies only the email address from a mailto: link -- not all of the
embedded Cc: and Subject: information.  If mailto: is not configured -- in my
case, I simply haven't gotten around to having Firefox launch mutt on my new
Mac and until now have seen no clear need to do so -- the user gets no response
when clicking on the link.  One may even wonder if simply clicking on the link
submits a join request even in the absence of confirmation (it doesn't).

This could easily be fixed by adding a sentence or two explaining how to join
manually ("send mail to X, Cc: to Y, with Subject: line Z").

Also, one would expect to see here a link to a fuller discussion of what
"control of patents or copyrights" means, along with a link to the "draft
email" one would need to complete -- without having to call up the text with
a mail client.

Tom

--
Tom Baker <tom@tombaker.org>