Re: Inclusion of overflowScrolling in coremob specification

From: Wes Johnston <wjohnston@mozilla.com<mailto:wjohnston@mozilla.com>>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 08:29:10 -0700
To: Kenneth Auchenberg <kenneth@auchenberg.dk<mailto:kenneth@auchenberg.dk>>
Cc: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com<mailto:tobie@fb.com>>, "public-coremob@w3.org<mailto:public-coremob@w3.org>" <public-coremob@w3.org<mailto:public-coremob@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Inclusion of overflowScrolling in coremob specification

Apple already implemented -webkit-overflow-scrolling for momentum scrolling in iOS5+.

Is some standardization work going on with this in the CSS group? Anyone?

As I said when I started this, I still haven't seen any need for an overflow-scrolling CSS property to be added to any spec. It sounds like what people want is 1.) Scrolling (in pages, frames, iframes, textareas, and overflow elements) to work correctly/smoothly, and 2.) To receive frequent and correct scroll events. Both are possible with what we already have.

I'm fine with tests on scroll performance. I just don't want to see useless cruft added to CSS.

I am going to jump in to speak for some of the mentioned people and say that this demand, and production use case, is very real. We (Zynga) want scrolling, panning (in two directions) and zooming. We want to implement snapping, pagination between simulated pages.

So far, the only browser implementation that can handle our needs almost sufficiently is IE10's [1]. The only issue is that this implementation only works with the "touch" type of pointer events, which would need to be addressed for actual specification.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh920761(v=vs.85).aspx