RE: Network Information Use Cases

Tomoyuki wrote:
> Sorry, I just misunderstood the purpose of this discussion. According to the
> current spec of Network Info API, I will show one use case below:
>
> * Warning against or avoiding downloading of large-sized files: Some of
> download sites such as application stores, movie download site, etc. may avoid
> downloading large-sized files (e.g. more than 20MB) through 3G network and
> encourage users to connect to wi-fi.

Doing this really doesn't require the network info API, you can generally figure this out by using a public database to look at the client IP. There are databases which do IP to GeoLocation, and I'm pretty sure you can find databases that will tell you which connection class an IP is on.

It also doesn't lead to a good UE. If a user has unlimited or employer paid service, then being told that a "large" file is problematic is just annoying. Especially if every file they access is "large". If my plan gives me 20GB, then being warned about "20MB" files is maddening.