Re: Ringmark is now open source

On Apr 12, 2012, at 16:06 , <andrea.trasatti@nokia.com> <andrea.trasatti@nokia.com> wrote:
> The way I read the Wiki was "Android and iOS are the market leaders and can do X,Y,Z, so R0, as an observation of the current market covers X,Y,Z". As pointed out by many it is a misleading statement in the first place and hence the conclusion sounds wrong as well. Also, it starts from what the devices offer, not from what developers use and want to use.
>
> So, it is possible that the result will be the same, but the perspective that I propose is different, i.e. "which are the technologies that developers need to develop Web apps TODAY and what will they need 1 year, 2 years, 5 years from now?".

I think the result is the same, which is why I don't much care about the distinction. R0 is about today, and R1 is in the very close future. From what I read you say you seem to agree with the way in which R1 and following are to be defined, which I guess leaves us with R0.

The wiki is an accurate view of how the proposals came to be. I'm fine with alternative approaches but unless they're going to produce substantially different results I don't really see the point in looking into them — do you? We have a proposed R0 on the table. That should be enough for people to comment on — in detail.

> Everyone loves the Henry Ford quote about cars and horses, my feeling is that you are trying to describe a horse, but you should be talking about "how to go from A to B" and then find how to do it.

There was a long debate in the Web community about evolution and revolution. At the end of the day, the chosen path was evolution. So to pick up on your Ford reference we're really not trying to build cars — just better horses. Really, really better horses, the kind you can ride across an Apocalypse on.

> As many people on this thread, I am already worn out and will stop commenting unless specifically asked.

As am I — so allow me to specifically ask you for comments :)

Based on your experience and point of view, what parts of the current R0 document would you:

    • remove;
    • add to;
    • refine;
    • and for each of the above, why?