RE: Ringmark is now open source

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcos Caceres [mailto:w3c@marcosc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:55 PM
To: Matt Kelly
Cc: Tobie Langel; Thaddee Tyl; Wonsuk Lee; public-coremob@w3.org
Subject: Re: Ringmark is now open source

On Thursday, 5 April 2012 at 00:09, Matt Kelly wrote:

>> The point of Ringmark is to enable developers to build modern web apps for smartphones (primarily touch devices). Opera has a browser on smartphones, but it doesn't have significant market share.

> What's the marketshare cut off?
>> Opera mini, which does have a large amount of market share, is targeted at feature phones.

> Do you mean those phones that about 70% of the world uses and will continue to use for a while yet? :)

> But seriously, I think we need to take a balanced view here.

Ring 0 is focused on giving developers an accurate view of what functionality is available for building modern web apps on smartphones.  In that context, iOS Safari and the Android browser have nearly all of the market share.  Developers care about market reach and if we include every browser that's available on iOS and Android (the two operating systems that own the majority of the smartphone market today), Ring 0 would have little (probably no) functionality contained in it.  Even if the market share cut off was as low as 15% (probably significantly less, even), only iOS and Android would be included anyway.  Ring 0 is not subjective and is completely data-driven.