Re: Ringmark is now open source

On 04/04/2012 04:00 AM, Wonsuk Lee wrote:
> Hi. Matt.
>
> Thanks for quick reply.
>

> I have one more question. Current version of Ringmark tests twice(prefix and
> non-prefix) for some features. E.g. css3-flexbox, css3-images, indexed db in
> Ring1 and canvas-3d in Ring2.

I think it is clear that we should never test for prefixed things,
including as an optional pass condition e.g. we shouldn't have tests
that pass with either a correct implementation of a "foo" CSS property
or of a "-o-foo" CSS property.

Prefixed things are not supposed to be part of part of the interoperable
web platform; they are in essence proprietary features. When people use
prefixed things in production, they become part of the de-facto platform
(people can't drop the prefixes without breaking sites), thus causing
fragmentation. When vendors fix this fragmentation by implementing other
vendor's prefixes people get upset. None of this is beneficial to the
platform as a whole.

If there is some technology that we think out to be part of the
interoperable platform, but is only available prefixed, we should fix
that by making vendors implement the unprefixed form. If there is some
bureaucratic reason they are avoiding this e.g. WG Process issues, we
should put pressure on the relevant people to fix those issues rather
than endorse the brokenness.