Re: Rough first draft of Level 0

On 4/1/12 3:41 PM, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> This is an aspirational document/wish-list (probably shouldn't even use
>RFC2119 language)

That's certainly not the goal of Level 0 which is just busy describing the
current state of the Mobile Web Platform. Features which are out of the
scope of said goal made it there by accident and will be removed.

> I can't speak for browser vendors, but having worked for one for 3
>years, browser vendors already know all this stuff (and I can feel them
>shaking their heads again and saying "oh yay, another 'industry' wish
>listŠ put it there, in the bin, with the others."). Browsers process and
>render billions of web pages every day - and browser vendors talk to web
>developers every day - there is nothing really new in this document to
>get excited about or that they don't already know.

That's absolutely true and not really surprising given the descriptive
purpose of this document.

> I think for this effort to have any significant impact, then it should
>focus on the use cases (i.e., what do we want to build that we can't do
>today (but we can do on iOS and Android)?) and where are the gaps in
>interoperability in the platform that is holding back real progress. Long
>lists of MUST, MUST, MUST, don't strike me as particularly helpful (and
>it's just a rinse and repeat of every other industry wish list that has
>been provided to browser vendors since the beginning of time). This is
>where I think the -apple-* stuff is of value, in the sense that "oh look
>at this awesome stuff we can do with Apple's proprietary stuff, which is
>completely missing from the Web Platform as defined by the W3C/WHATWG".

> If you want to do this right, we need some real apps that show where
>browsers fall on their asses: show where it is slow and painful and just
>can't compete with iOS and Android. If you can do that, then you have
>something new and of value that no other effort has been able to do.

Yes, that is the purpose of Cormob level 1, which will go in the details
of the features missing to build around 90% of the top 100 "native"
applications on the Mobile Web Platform.

--tobie