Re: contact format coordination - next steps

>> and we dropped the
>> "post-office box" and "extended address" sub-fields, which in practice
>> are ill-defined and used by none of the major address book providers
>> we're aware of, preferring instead a single "streetAddress" multi-line
>> field, which is what almost everyone implements anyway and sticks in the
>> third sub-field of adr ("street address").

> This is also available in vCard. ADR is for formatted addresses
whereas LABEL is for unformatted addresses.

Simon-I think you missed my point here. Even within the *structured*
address, one of the "known bugs" in vCard 3 is the fact that they use 3
different sub-fields just for the street address (pobox, extended-address,
and street-address), but nobody knows what those first two fields are for,
nobody uses them, no UIs expose them separately, and they create a lot of
ambiguity and confusion. I'm all for maintaining backwards compatibility
where you can, but I'd strongly urge you to say "these first two fields are
deprecated and should no longer be used, just put the full street address in
the street-address field".

So for instance, the following address in vCard:

ADR;TYPE=WORK:;;1300 Crittenden Lane\nSuite 300;Mountain View;CA;94043;USA
LABEL;TYPE=WORK:1300 Crittenden Lane\nSuite 300\nMountain View, CA 94043 USA

Would look like this in PoCo:

"addresses": [
  {
    "type": "work,
    "streetAddress": "1300 Crittenden Lane\nSuite 300",
    "locality": "Mountain View",
    "region": "CA",
    "postalCode": "94043",
    "country": "USA",
    "formatted": "1300 Crittenden Lane\nSuite 300\nMountain View, CA 94043"
  }
]

and like this in vCard XML:

<adr>
  <pobox/>
  <ext/>
</adr>
<label>
  <text>1300 Crittenden Lane\nSuite 300\nMountain View, CA 94043</text>
</label>

Make sense? Any objections?
Thanks, js

PS: Do you know if there's any way in vCard to say "this 'adr' and this
'label' correspond to the same physical address?". Just saying "they both
have type=work" isn't really sufficient since you might work out of multiple
offices, say, or have a second vacation home. In PoCo, we chose to combine
them by having a "formatted" value for the unstructured address alongside
the structured counterparts. This is very useful for "round-tripping"
complex addresses with programs like Outlook that let you edit both the
structured and unstructured versions of the same address.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca