Re: If "skip to main" link is not the very first link/focusable item on a page, should I call a WCAG 2.0 violation?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>wrote:

> Glenda,****
>
> Adding the WCAG 2.0 public comment email – the WG will follow up with you
> about this.****
>
> ** **
>
> I’ll comment that this technique does require that the link is the first
> one on the page, but this technique is not the only way to meet 2.4.1.  The
> techniques are not normative, as you indicate, but sufficient.  This
> technique is just one sufficient way to meet 2.4.1.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> AWK****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew Kirkpatrick****
>
> Group Product Manager, Accessibility****
>
> Adobe Systems ****
>
> ** **
>
> akirkpat@adobe.com <akirkpatrick@adobe.com>****
>
> http://twitter.com/awkawk****
>
> http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility****
>
> ** **

You are correct that failure to use one of the WCAG 2.0 Sufficient
Techniques is not necessarily a failure of the success criterion. G1 and
G124 are written to position the links as the first links on the page
because the working group feels that is best practice, and to be
encouraged. However, as long as there is some mechanism to skip blocks of
repeated material, the success criterion has been met.