Re: Older Versions - Informing Users

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Kerstin Probiesch
> Email: k.probiesch@googlemail.com
> Affiliation:
> Document: TD
> Item Number: (none selected)
> Part of Item: Description
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: Older Versions - Informing Users
> Hi all,
>
> it seems that there are some problems concerning different versions of
> techniques which might be confusing for users. Two examples:
>
> Example 1:
>
> * T3 (older version, Working Draft?):
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PA/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS/text.html#T3
>
> * T3 (new version): http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/T3.html
>

> Example 2:
>
> * H69 (Editor's Draft):
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20090105/H69
>
> * H69 (http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/H69)
>
> As long as users are following the links (recommendation -> SC -> How to
> meet) they won't come along other versions (working drafts?, example 1) or
> older Editor's Drafts. But if they come along through a search engine,
> there is no information about the status of the single documents as long
> users don't follow the link "contents" and scroll to the top where they
> find "Editor's Draft January - July 2009".
>

> Proposed Change:
> Adding a clear note about the status of older documents.

Thanks you for your comment.  The WG recognizes this as a potential issue
which applies to multiple WGs in WAI/W3C. There are plans to add banners to
the tops of superseded WAI documents.  In addition, starting with the
current draft, at the bottom of each technique we will add a note and link
to the current version of the technique.