Re: Reword G1 'Description' and 'Note'. (This will make "Skip to Main" as a permanent visible link)

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:21 AM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Devarshi Pant
> Email: devarshipant@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Freelance Consultant
> Document: TD
> Item Number: G1
> Part of Item: Description
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: Reword G1 'Description' and 'Note'.  (This will make
> "Skip to Main" as a permanent visible link)
> I think it is time that G1 along with the "NOTE:" at the end of the
> description be modified and made more forceful. Presently, it does not give
> the impression that the "Skip to..." MUST be visible. I would like to see
> the description reworded to make it more assertive.
> *******************
> Currently, G1 with the note (and the ensuing wording), comes across as a
> weak technique.
> *******************
>
> Proposed Change:
> The objective of this technique is to provide a mechanism to bypass blocks
> of material that are repeated on multiple Web pages by skipping directly to
> the main content of the Web page. The first interactive item in the Web page
> is a VISIBLE link to the beginning of the main content. Activating the
> VISIBLE link sets focus beyond the other content to the main content. This
> technique is most useful when a Web page has one main content area, rather
> than a set of content areas that are equally important.
>
> Note:  VISIBLE LINKS MUST BE VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES, ESPECIALLY for KEYBOARD
> USERS.  KEYBOARD USERS INCLUDE switch users, those using techniques that
> generate keyboard strokes slowly, screen magnification software users,
> screen reader users working with sighted colleagues, keyboard only users and
> those navigating using voice recognition software.
>
> ================================
Although we agree that using visible links is best practice, we included
this technique in its current form to make it clear that links that are only
visible when they have focus are sufficient.

We are modifying the note in G1 to clarify both that visible links are best
practice and that this technique only requires that they be visible at least
when they have focus.

A technique that requires visible links, such as you propose, would also be
sufficient, of course. We do not have the resources to write additional
techniques at this time, but would welcome the submission of a separate
technique for using visible links to skip to main content.