Re: "image of text" definition needs clarification

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: Web Standards Office
> Email: ws-nw@tbs-sct.gc.ca
> Affiliation: Treasury Board Secretariat, Government of Canada
> Document: W2
> Item Number: Appendix A: Glossary
> Part of Item:
> Comment Type: technical
> Summary of Issue: "image of text" definition needs clarification
> We are requesting clarification for the "image of text" definition in WCAG
> 2.0 because it is a bit ambiguous, leading to multiple interpretations,
> which is ultimately affecting the perceived scope of Success Criterion
> 1.4.5.
>
> The way the definition has been worded is making it unclear whether
> abstract visual representations included in images (such as charts, graphs,
> and diagrams) fall under "image of text". This causes some to interpret
> images of charts, graphs, and diagrams to fall within the scope of SC 1.4.5.
>
> The sticking point in the definition is the interpretation of "Note",
> where "picture" rather than "image" is used as part of the exception. The
> problem is that a picture is not really synonymous with charts, graphs, or
> diagrams which has led some to interpret that the exception does not apply
> to those types of images. This interpretation is further strengthened by a
> photograph being the only example of a picture with significant other
> content.
>
> In discussion with others familiar with the development of WCAG 2.0, they
> indicated that the images of text definition was not meant to cover charts,
> graphs, or diagrams and that it was only intended to cover images where the
> text was the primary source of information. Considering this, do you agree
> with the following additional clarification for the definition:
>
> Note: This does not include text that is part of a picture, graph, chart,
> diagram or image that conveys important information visually through more
> than just the text.
>
> If you do agree, can you please provide written confirmation and also make
> the change to the "image of text" definition?
>
> Proposed Change:
> In Appendix A, "image of text" definition (and other instances of the
> definition in the Understanding and Techniques documents), change:
>
> Note: This does not include text that is part of a picture that contains
> significant other visual content.

> Note: This does not include text that is part of a picture, graph, chart,
> diagram or image that conveys important information visually through more
> than just the text.

We cannot change the normative document, since it is a W3C Recommendation.
However, we will add the following to Understanding SC 1.4.5 and
Understanding SC 1.4.9:

"The definition of image of text contains the note:

Note: This does not include text that is part of a picture that contains
significant other visual content.

Examples of such pictures include graphs, screenshots, and diagrams which
visually convey important information through more than just text."