Re: Editorial Errors in WCAG Techniques

Thank you for reporting these problems. Our responses to the
individual issues is included inline.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Tomas Caspers <tcaspers@me.com> wrote:
> Esteemed colleagues,
>
> during the translation of WCAG Techniques into German we found a few more errors or omissions.
>
> Thanks for clarification,
>
> Tomas Caspers
>
> --------
>
> »Internet Explorer 7 only changes the text size when the CSS is defined in a style element, keyed off an element as in the examples.«
>
> We have problems understanding this sentence - please explain.

We are rewording this sentence:

Internet Explorer 7 only changes the text size when the style rule
that applies to the text is defined within a style element; when using
inline styles, that is, using an element's "style" attribute, the text
size change is not supported.

> --------
>
> »The CSS letter-spacing property is used to display the letters closer together in the second line of text.«
>
> In both examples of example 9 it is said that the letters are closer together. But in the first example letter spacing is -0.1 em, and in the second it is 1em.
> So, shouldn't the second example read differently?

In the second part of Example 9, we are changing "display the letters
closer together" to "display the letters farther apart".

> --------
>
> »The CSS :first-line pseudo class is used to display the first line of text in a larger, red font.«
>
> The "e" of :first-line is not within the proper container and is displayed wrong.

We will fix this typo.

> --------
>
> »The objective of this technique is to make it possible for users who need to increase the size of text in order to read it will not have to scroll horizontally in order to read a line of text.«
>
> Construction of this sentence seems to be a bit awkward :-)

This sentence has been rewritten:

The objective of this technique is to enable users to increase the
size of text without having to scroll horizontally to read that text.

> --------
>
> »When some aspect of the default presentation of a Web page has does not meet a Success Criterion, it is possible to meet that requirement using the "Alternate Version" clause in the conformance requirements (Conformance Requirement 1).«
>
> We think the "has" before "does" needs to be deleted.

Thank you. Fixed.

> --------
>
> »This example be used for simple changes to a section of content and may be less practical for complex sites or pages.«
>
> We think there should be a "may" or "can" after "This example".

We added "can" as you suggested.

> --------
> »If warning the user a time limit is about to expire (see SCR16: Providing a script that warns the user a time limit is about to expire), this form can be made available from the warning dialog.«
>
> Sentence seems to be incomplete!

This sentence has been rewritten:

If the user is being warned that a time limit is about to expire (see
SCR16: Providing a script that warns the user a time limit is about to
expire), this form can be made available from the warning dialog.«

> --------
>
> »The keyboard event handler should be provided, that executes the same function as the mouse event handler.«
>
> Shouldn't it be "A keyboard event....." and no comma before "that"?

Yes, fixed.

> --------
>
> »It must always be possible to understand purpose of the expansion link directly from its link text«
>
> There is a "the" before purpose missing

Fixed.

> --------
>
> »If the link identified in step 1 is a link, check that it can be identified from link text alone«
>
> Shouldn't that read:
> If the control identified in step 1 is a link, check that it can be identified from link text alone

We are changing this step to:

Check that the link identified in step 1 can be identified from link text alone

> --------
>
> »Although this technique relies on client-side scripting, it is beneficial to provide a backup implementation or explanation for environments in which scripting is not available.«
>
> Should it really read "although"?

We are changing this sentence to:

This technique relies on client-side scripting. However, it is
beneficial to provide a backup implementation or explanation for
environments in which scripting is not available.

> --------
>
> »This approach should only be used when script is relied upon as an Accessibility Supported Tecnology.«
>
> There is an "h" missing in Technology.

Fixed.

> --------
>
> »Conformance Criterion 4 requires that alternate versions can be derived from the nonconforming content or from its URI«
>
> Shouldn't that be "Conformance Requirement 4 ..."

Fixed.

> --------
>
> »The way to determine the values for "clip-begin," "clip-end", and "dur" is to find out the time the portion of the video before the audio description starts and ends, and to find out the total length of the extended audio description.«
>
> "to find out the time the portion..." this construction sounds a bit strange!

We are changing this sentence to read:

To determine the values for "clip-begin," "clip-end", and "dur", find
the start and end time of the portion of the video being described,
and find out the total length of the extended audio description.

> --------
>
> »In the first <par>, the video clip starts at 0 seconds, ends and 5.4 seconds, and the description length is 3.3 seconds, so the "dur" value is 5.4s + 3.3s = 8.7s.«
>
> We think this should read "ends at 5.4 seconds"

Fixed.

> --------
>
> Sometimes it says:
>
> system-captions attribute
>
> and sometimes
>
> systemCaptions attribute

SMIL 1.0 uses the systems-captions attribute, and SMIL 2.0 uses the
systemCaptions attribute. This is usually the only difference between
the examples for those two technologies.

> --------
>
> At one point it says:
>
> »Enable control in content player to turn on sign language interpretation (unless it is always shown)«
>
> And then it says:
>
> »Enable control in content or player to turn on sign language interpretation (unless it is always shown)«
>
> Which one is right?

The second is right. We have changed the first sentence.