Re: [WCAG 2.0] 2.2.1 Timing Adjustable

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 5:45 AM, Makoto Ueki <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gregg,
>
> JIS working group got a comment for SC 2.2.1(SC 7.2.2.1 in next JIS)
> from FUJITSU.
>
> The intent of SC 2.2.1 is "to ensure that users with disabilities are
> given adequate time to interact with Web content whenever possible".
> Online form on FUJITSU website has time limit for security reasons.
>
> The steps FUJITSU followed were:
> - Conducted user testing with users without disabilities.
> - Found that all users completed tasks within 10 minutes.
> - 15 minutes would be reasonable time limit for users without disabilities.
> - 15 minutes was the default time limit.
> However, it is very difficult for them to modify the form by providing
> options such as "Turn off", "Adjust", or  "Extend" required by SC
> 2.2.1. On the other hand, it is easy to change the default time limit.
> So they will do the followings:
> - 15 minutes x 10 times = 150 minutes
> - Added 30 minutes just to be more adequate for users with disabilities.
> - Finally change the default to 180(150+30) minutes.
>
> The point is that setting 10 times the default as initial time limit
> can be equivalent with providing options such as "Adjust", or
> "Extend" the time limit to longer than ten times. Then it means that
> "users with disabilities are given adequate time to interact with Web
> content" as written in Intent section of Understanding SC 2.2.1.
>
> In this case, would the form meet SC 2.2.1?
>
> JIS working group thinks that it would be long enough also for users
> with disabilities. So it would serve the purpose of SC 2.2.1 and could
> meet SC 2.2.1. What does WCAG WG think about this?
>
> - Makoto
>
> p.s.
> JIS will be updated in December 2009 or in January 2010. JIS WG is now
> working hard to translate Understanding and Techniques documents.
>
>================================
Web sites that timeout in 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc. would not meet
this success criterion if there was a technical way to signal the user
but they did not use one of the methods shown in the success criteria.

We will combine the note you mentioned with another note as follows in
the next version of Understanding WCAG 2.0:

This Success Criterion applies only to time limits that are set by the
content itself. For example, if a time limit is included in order to
address security concerns, it would be considered to have been set by
the content because it  is designed to be part of the presentation and
interaction experience for that content. Time limits set externally to
content, such as by the user agent or by factors intrinsic to the
Internet are not under the author's control and not subject to WCAG
conformance requirements. Time limits set by Web servers should be
under the author's/organizations control and are covered. (Success
Criteria 2.2.3, 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 may also apply.)

To answer your question, a login expiration like the one you've
described would be subject to the requirements in 2.2.1 and would not
be a considered "essential" unless removing the time limit would
fundamentally change the information or functionality of the content
AND the information and functionality of the content could not be
achieved in another way that would conform.