Re: G182: Applicability

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM, <makoto.ueki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Name: Makoto Ueki
> Email: makoto.ueki@gmail.com
> Affiliation: Infoaxia, Inc.
> Document: TD
> Item Number: G182
> Part of Item: Applicability
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: G182: Applicability
> 2nd bullet in Applicability section reads:
>
> "Items in a list where some are different than others and are presented in
> colored text"
>

> If it is not a link, screen reader users can't find its visual cues as
> described in Example 1 and 3 and won't be able to understand the information
> conveyed by color or font face. In such case, we should use G14 instead of
> G182. Using only G182 for non-link text can't be a sufficient technique.
>
> Proposed Change:
> - Remove 2nd bullet from Applicability section and;
>
> - Provide Examples for link text.
>
> OR
>
> - Remove G182 and recommend G14 as a sufficinet technique for SC 1.4.1

This technique (G182) is sufficient for this SC (1.4.1) which is just about
color blindness. However, it would not meet 1.3.1, which the reader should
know. To bring this to the reader's attention, we have added a note to the
end of the description to clarify this as follows:

"Note that while this technique is sufficient to meet the visual
requirements of Success Criterion 1.4.1, the information conveyed by the
color must also be available programmatically to satisfy Success Criterion
1.3.1. See How to Meet 1.3.1."