From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gv@trace.wisc.edu]
Sent: 17 April 2008 15:59
To: sheena.mccullagh@blueyonder.co.uk
Cc: public-comments-WCAG20@w3.org
Subject: Your comments on WCAG 2.0 Last Call Working Draft of December,
2007

Please find responses to your recent questions below

Please let us know if this addresses your issue.

Thank you

Gregg Vanderheiden
Co-chair.

RE Comment #1:
Thanks.   We have now fixed that as per your suggestion.

>  2  One thing that concerns me is that all the items in this list talk
> about
>  what to do, or not do, in CSS.  Nowhere can I find it mentioned that if
> you
>  are not doing it in CSS, you can't do it in HTML either.  As horrendous
> as
>  it sounds I know people and web sites out there that look at what the CSS
>  does/doesn't do, then inappropriately over-ride these items in HTML using
>  style=.  I work for a large organisation and we use a content management
>  system with each area being responsible for it's own web pages.  There
> are
>  several of the people who input data who are following WAIG only under
>  sufferance (one actually told me that we should be allowed to make a web
>  site look and perform how we want it to, then teach disabled people to
> make
>  the best use of it they can).  Others, often writing in isolation on
> small
>  web sites, sometimes genuinely don't understand what the guidelines are
>  getting at and are so entrenched in the idea that every colour has to be
>  coded that when they read, for example, '2. Specifying borders and layout
> in
>
> CSS to delineate areas of a web page while not specifying text and
>  text-background colors', their brains are going to follow the line of
'OK,
>  borders and layout in CSS only, that must mean I specify the text and
>  background colours in HTML.'  Those who want to ignore WAIG, but are
> being
>  compelled to follow it, can take the line of, 'Well it only says I can't
> do
>  it in CSS, it doesn't mention HTML, therefore I can comply by not coding
>  text and background in CSS, but still do what I want by using HTML
> instead.'
>
>  Bim eluded to this same concern in comment 2376 - '* Any specified
>  foreground and background colors are in CSS, not HTML (future link) OR '.
>  The reply was 'since user agents or users' style sheets can override
> colors
>  specified in CSS or HTML, we did not include ", not HTML." '.  Yes that's
>  true, but the whole point of the additional items you added as a result
> of
>  my last email was to stop web writers coding the colours for background
> and
>  text for specific page areas by any means, however you only specify CSS.
>
>  In G156 the first example states 'A Web page is designed using HTML and
> CSS
>  to specify the foreground and background colors'  Bearing in mind what
> I've
>  just said above, that actually reads as if it's OK to specify colours in
>  BOTH HTML and CSS.
>
>  And yes people really are that daft or devious.

RE Comment #2:
CSS refers to the use of CSS in a style sheet or in a style attribute within
HTML document.  So specifying colors by using CSS style attributes in HTML
would be the same as specifying thing in a style sheet as far as WCAG is
concerned.  If an author can not use CSS for some reason, then there's
nothing in WCAG 2.0 that would prohibit them from specifying color in HTML.
The problem in this case should be addressed in the user agent.  We are
currently working separately on the user agent aspect so that you would be
able to get what you need.

>  3  As you know I'd have sooner that you removed G156 altogether, but as
> it
>  seems to be staying in there, shouldn't item 3 - 'Providing an additional
>  stylesheet that does not specify colors for the main content body (future
>  link)  [2476]' be tied to it.  The only reason there would be to need the
>  additional style sheet was if G156 had been followed, ie all colours
>  specified and if all the colours are specified, then, to my mind it
> should
>  be a requirement to provide the alternative stylesheet.

RE Comment #3
We have noted your comments so that we can use them when these techniques
are written up later on.
>  4  In a similar vein to 2, ie web writers not understanding, is it
> possible,
>  maybe via a 'future link' to state that the link within the web site to
> the
>  additional stylesheet, and any description to what it is and how it
works,
>  is contained in a web page where colours (and text size) are not
> specified.
>  Many times I've come across web sites with wonderful information on how
>  change colourings (and text size) in the web browser or even a selection
> of
>  colours (and text sizes) to click on within the page that will then be
>  applied across the whole web site, but the instructions are contained in
>  pages where the colours (and text sizes) are already specified.
>
>  How are the people the information is aimed at supposed to read how to
>  change things if the page with the instructions on how to make the
> changes
>  has the colours (and/or text sizes) already specified to a combination
> they
>  cannot read?  With colour selectors it's even worse.  If you have to
>  over-ride the specified colours within the browser to actually read the
>  page, the various selections all change to those colours set in the
> browser
>  so you can't see what you're supposed to be picking anyway.  Even the BBC
>  site with it's wonderful accessibility information falls foul of this.
> The
>  general instructions as per the link in G156 have all the colours
> specified
>  and the colour picker is in a link from the home page called 'customise
> your
>  home page' (URL doesn't change, so cannot give you a direct link), which
> has
>  the page colours specified and when you over-ride, the colour options
> become
>  those of the browser.

RE Comment #4
Our conformance would require that all information meet the guidelines -
including instructions.  If they don't conform on the default page - they
would on the alternate page and the path to that page needs to conform as
well.

>  5  I apologise as this is something I've only just noticed.  (I have to
> read
>  your guidelines in the specified colours, ie black text on a white
ground.
>  If I over-ride in the browser to my optimum colours of blue text on a
> white
>  ground I loose the additional visual clues of colour signifying certain
> page
>  sections or amendments, eg the new added text and the changed text.
>  Unfortunately I do tend to misread when reading black on white, so I can
>  only apologise for not noticing this earlier and hope that you will allow
> me
>  a little leeway.  The only reason I noticed it now was because I was
>  comparing the amendments you have just added to 1.4.8 to see how they
> fitted
>  in with 1.4.3 (see also 6 below).)
>
>  G148 - example 1 'Author specifies neither text color nor background.
> They
>  also do not use CSS. As a result the user can set his browser defaults to
>  provide the colors and contrasts that work well for them', can be read in
>  two ways.  Originally I took the sentence 'They also do not use CSS.' to
>  mean that they do not use CSS to specify the colours, but it could mean
> that
>  the web site doesn't have a CSS at all.  I think it needs clarifying and
>  hopefully you meant it to be taken the way I originally took it.
>
>  It would, I feel, be a tremendous shame if a Double A automatic pass,
> could
>  only be that if the site didn't have a style sheet at all.  And thinking
>  logically on from that, if it does mean that G148 applies only if the
> site
>  has no CSS at all, then sites that have style sheets and are complying to
>  the new Triple A sufficient techniques that you've added, would appear to
>  fail 1.4.3 because they cannot meet G18 and/or G145 due to the fact that
> if
>  you are allowing browser settings to determine the colours, it is
> impossible
>  to guarantee that the browser settings meet the minimum 5:1 and 3:1
> ratios
>  respectively.
>
>  1.4.3 does seem to be either specify all, or specify none, which goes
>  directly against the new Triple A (and highly appropriate) sufficient
>  techniques of 1.4.8.
>
>  Example - this is the archery club web site I've written, I believe I
> pass
>  1.4.8 first requirement by complying to point 2.  However as I don't
> specify
>  any text, link or background colour nor text size, but do use CSS, I
> can't
>  pass G18 and G145 and it would seem, having re-read G148 that I don't
> pass
>  that either.  Therefore I fail the Double A 1.4.3, while meeting the
> [...]
RE: Comment #5
You say that you lose the color information when you do your settings.  This
is why we have 1.4.1 (Use of Color) and why the techniques used to show
diff-markup include "[begin add]," "[begin change]," etc.  So you may lose
the colors but they are redundant with other markup so you don't lose any
information.
You also were worried that your example site would fail 1.4.3, 1.4.6 and
1.4.8.   In fact it would pass them.   There is no way that an author can be
held responsible for the contrast ratio after a user has changed the colors.

>  6  Following on from the above point, all .gov.uk websites have been
> ordered
>  to be Double A compliant by December 2008 or they will lose their right
>  have a .gov domain name (http://www.headstar.com/egblive/?p=55), well
> that's
>  the theory anyway.  If that happens the Double A guideline which deals
> with
>  colour, ie 1.4.3 has to be complied with and taking into account what
> I've
>  said in point 4 above, it will mean that people like myself will have
>  tremendous problems.  Is there any way of changing 1.4.3 to show that
> it's
>  actually better to do a combination of both as per the new sufficient
>  techniques for 1.4.8, or at least stop it being a fail for 1.4.3 if
> people
>  do use a combination.  I would suggest amending the description sections
> of
>  G18, G145 and G148 by adding in a new paragraph, preferably at the
>  beginning:
>
>  'Please note that it is acceptable, and for people with dyslexia and
> other
>  cognitive impairments preferable, to specify colors for the text and
>  background of certain areas of the page, while not specifying text and
>  background colors of the main content.  See Understanding Success
> Criterion
>  1.4.8.  Where you are specifying colors, you must make sure that you
>  maintain the applicable minimum contrast ratios.'  (Make 'See
> Understanding
>  Success Criterion 1.4.8' a link to
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20080310/visual-
> audi
>  o-contrast-visual-presentation.html)
>
>  The procedure section of G148 would also, I feel, need to be amended as
>  currently it talks about all text colours and all background colours.

RE: Comment #6
We are adding the following to the understanding doc: " It is sometimes
helpful for authors to not specify colors for certain sections of a page in
order to help users who need to view content with specific color
combinations to view the content in their preferred color scheme. Refer to
Understanding SC 1.4.8 for more information."
We are also adding a "related technique" link from G148 to G18 and G156.

>  7  When is WAIG 2 likely to come into force?  The reason I ask is the
> above
>  comment of all .gov.uk sites being Double A compliant by December 2008.
> If
>  the new guidelines come into force too close to that date it's going to
> be
>  impossible for the sites to comply and the government is going to have to
>  shift the date.

RE: Comment #7
We will be getting WCAG 2.0 out as quickly as we can.

>  8  Finally a general thought.  The guidelines are very technical in their
>  content, as they need to be, but it does sometimes make them difficult to
>  follow.  An organisation in the UK, took the WAIG 1 document, split it
> into
>  three separate documents, Single A, Double A and Triple A, gave a plain
>  English type summary of each point and provided a link back to the main
>  document.  I've passed these guidelines on to many people and they've
> said
>  how easy they are to use and how much faster it is to locate any
> particular
>  point you want.  I suspect that they are not the only organisation to
> have
>  done this and I was wondering, rather than everyone re-inventing the
> wheel,
>  if w3c itself might consider providing something similar for WAIG 2 once
>  they come into force.
>
>  The following is a copy and paste of a section of their Single A
document.
>  The numbers themselves are the links back to the full guidelines on your
> web
>  site.:
>
>  .       4.1 Clearly identify changes in the natural language of a
> document's text
>  and any text equivalents (e.g., captions).
>  .       6.1 Organize documents so they may be read without style sheets.
> For
>  example, when an HTML document is rendered without associated style
> sheets,
>  it must still be possible to read the document.
>  .       6.2 Ensure that equivalents for dynamic content are updated when
> the
>  dynamic content changes.
>  .       7.1 Until user agents allow users to control flickering,
> avoid causing the
>  screen to flicker.
>  .       14.1 Use the clearest and simplest language appropriate for a
> site's
>  content.
>
>  And if you use images and image maps (Priority 1)
>  .       1.2 Provide redundant text links for each active region of a
> server-side
>  image map.
>  .       9.1 Provide client-side image maps instead of server-side image
> maps
>  except where the regions cannot be defined with an available geometric
>  shape.
>
>  And if you use tables (Priority 1)
>  .       5.1 For data tables, identify row and column headers.
>  .       5.2 For data tables that have two or more logical levels of
> row or column
>  headers, use markup to associate data cells and header cells.
>
>  Yet again I've gone on much longer than intended.  There again, until I
>  started writing this email, I hadn't envisaged including the items in
> points
>  5 and 6.

RE: Comment #8

While we agree that specification language can sometimes seem
complex, it is important that it include enough detail to be both
testable and implementable as a specification. The Working group expects
to do ongoing work with the Education and Outreach Working group to
develop education and training materials related to WCAG 2.0 after it
becomes a Recommendation.