Re: Response to response on issue ID 2462

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:19:57 +0100
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org
CC: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, lorettaguarino@google.com, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>

Following on from a phone conversation with Gregg just now, I would
suggest adding "average" in point 2 of 1.4.8 (average in the
mathematically testable sense - take the total number of chars, divide
by number of lines, get the average char count per line) - to cater for
very common situations that could arise with proportional typefaces,
where even if a block of text is set in CSS to be, say, 65em, a line of
text with lots of "thin" characters like i/l/1 or punctuation may end
with quite a higher character count than a line with lots of "wide"
chars like m/w.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/

"*average* width is no more than 80 characters or glyphs (40 if CJK)"

This would be my ideal resolution to this issue.

Also, from a point of internationalisation, CJK is mentioned...but what
about other non-latin script (arabic, for instance)? (hence my copy
Richard Ishida here, as I'm not sure if he's on the distribution list
here for the comments)

As mentioned, I won't go through a formal disagreement process if this
doesn't happen (and I won't have a big strop), but I'm concerned that
NOT having it would make this SC unworkable for anything other than
monospaced typefaces.

If it turns out that the group does not agree with the proposed
modification, I'm still ok with having this issue closed - but with my
reservation above noted (possibly in the informative documents).

Cheers,

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/