Fwd: Your comments on WCAG 2.0 Public Working Draft of May, 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <andrew.clarke@uk.michelin.com>
Date: Nov 5, 2007 2:08 AM
Subject: Re: Your comments on WCAG 2.0 Public Working Draft of May, 2007
To: Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>

Hi Loretta

Fantastic! I am very happy with the outcome of the working group. The
text of the point is now clear and understandable.

Andrew Clarke

 Andrew Clarke
 Webmaster UK & Ireland
 Andrew Clarke  -  Communications Dept
 Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company
 Campbell Road
 Stoke-on-Trent
 ST4 4EY

 Telephone:     +44 (0) 1782 403049
 Facsimile:       +44 (0) 1782 401751

 Email:             andrew.clarke@uk.michelin.com
 website:         www.michelin.co.uk

 This email is intended only for the addressee named above and the
 If you are not the intended recipient and/or have received this
message in error, disregard the content and return to sender.  Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not
necessarily represent those of Michelin Tyre PLC unless otherwise
specifically stated.  We do not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message nor responsibility for any change made to
this message after original despatch.  Nothing in this email is to be
interpreted as an agreement on behalf of Michelin Tyre PLC.  We do not
accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of any software
viruses. Michelin Tyre PLC reserves the right to monitor and record
any emails addressed to any worker at Michelin Tyre PLC and the
senders of messages shall be taken to have consented to such
monitoring and recording

                                                 Michelin Tyre Public
Limited Company
                 Registered in England no.84559. Registered office
Stoke-on-Trent ST4 4EY.

 "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>

04/11/2007 04:07

To andrew.clarke@uk.michelin.com

cc public-comments-WCAG20@w3.org

Subject Your comments on WCAG 2.0 Public Working Draft of May, 2007

Dear Andrew Clarke,

 Thank you for your comments on the 17 May 2007 Public Working Draft of
 the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-WCAG20-20070517/). The WCAG Working Group
 has reviewed all comments received on the May draft, and will be
 publishing an updated Public Working Draft shortly. Before we do that,
 we would like to know whether we have understood your comments
 correctly, and also whether you are satisfied with our resolutions.

 Please review our resolutions for the following comments, and reply to
 us by 19 November 2007 at public-comments-wcag20@w3.org to say whether
 you are satisfied. Note that this list is publicly archived. Note also
 that we are not asking for new issues, nor for an updated review of
 the entire document at this time.

 Please see below for the text of comments that you submitted and our
 resolutions to your comments. Each comment includes a link to the
 archived copy of your original comment on
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/, and may
 also include links to the relevant changes in the WCAG 2.0 Editor's
 Draft of May-October 2007 at
 http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20071102/

 Thank you for your time reviewing and sending comments. Though we
 cannot always do exactly what each commenter requests, all of the
 comments are valuable to the development of WCAG 2.0.

 Regards,

 Comment 1: simplify "alternate forms in different modalities are provided"
 Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-comments-wcag20/2007May/0129.html
 (Issue ID: 1931)
 ----------------------------
 Original Comment:
 ----------------------------

 I would be grateful if you could simplify the following as found in

 Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0)
 Principle 1,
 Guideline 1.1
 1.1.1 Non-text content,
 3rd point CAPTCHA
 Text reads "....alternate forms in different modalities are provided...."

 Could you simplify this by being a bit more verbose...

 ...different modalities? Do you mean using different methods or
 technologies to provide the content to accomodate different disabilities,
 if so, say so.

 There may also be a technical issue here in that providing those different
 methods of representing the content may compromise the security of using
 CAPTCHA in the first place and so render it useless. Thinking like a
 miscreant, if I can exploit an accessibility method used to represent this
 content to bypass the security of that content, then I probably will.

 Response from Working Group:

 We have adopted your recommendation in the Success Criteria as follows:

 "If it is to confirm that content is being accessed by a person rather
 than a computer, then text alternatives that identify and describe the
 purpose of the non-text content are provided, and alternative forms of
 CAPTCHA using output modes for different types of sensory perception
 are provided to accommodate different disabilities."

 Regarding the security issues of requiring different forms of CAPTCHA,
 we spent a lot of time considering the pros and cons of allowing
 CAPTCHA. We believe that in today's environment it is necessary to
 encourage accessible CAPTCHA, and we think requiring different forms
 is the best way to approach the accommodation of people with varying
 disabilities.