WCAG 2.0 Comment Submission

From: WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:58:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Name: Chris Lilley
Email: chris@w3.org
Affiliation: W3C
Document: W2
Item Number: Make the placement and functionality of content predictable.
Part of Item:
Comment Type: TE
\"3.2.2  Changing the setting of any form control or field does not automatically cause a change of context (beyond moving to the next field in tab order), unless the authored unit contains instructions before the control that describe the behavior\"

Consider a user interface for a map, where form fileds such as panning controls, layer selections or search boxes are used to zoom,pan, or alter a map. This common use seems to be precluded by the text above.

Proposed Change:
I regret not being able tosuggest suitable text at this time. I can see the benefit of what you are trying to do, and I can see that it makes non-confomant some interfaces that are currently used. I think the text needs to be more precise, and look forward to discussing this further with you.