From: Eric Gateau
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 15:25
To: shadi@w3.org
Subject: [french] difficulties in translating WCAG 2.0 working draft

Hi Shadi,

I promised to write you about the difficulties we had when translating
the
W.C.A.G. 2.0 working draft into french.

First of all, I wanted to say that regarding to version 1.0, the version

2.0 is really clearer and more understandable. It is a great
improvement.
Beside that, I should have logged the difficulties when translating,
because now, almost everything seems clear !
Anyway, by reading the document I have found some of the difficulties we

met. So here they are :

- The paragraph about the patent policy transition procedure has been a
real nightmare, maybe because we hardly know about it.
Suggestion : simply include a link at these procedure for those who
wants
to know more about it.

- Level 2 Success Criteria for Guideline 2.1 : "Wherever a choice
between
input device event handlers is available and supported, the more
abstract
event is used". The word "abstract" is not clearer in french than in
english in this context.
As the glossary says about event handler :"[...] An abstract event
handler
is one which can be activated by a variety of input devices." I suggest
include this directly in the guideline.

- Level 1 Success Criteria for Guideline 4.2 : "1 [...] If inaccessible
plug-ins are available, then a method for obtaining an accessible
plug-in
is provided from the content". This is not clear : which inaccessible
plug-in is about ? The one required by default on the page ? We
translated
word by word this sentence and it has the same ambiguity.

That is all I can see for now, I hope it will help you and be sure that
next time I will log the difficulties when translating.

Best regards,
Eric Gateau
eric.gateau@webaccessibilite.net