Re: Working Draft Checklist Guidelines 1.1 L1 SC5:

From: Wendy Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:10:02 -0400
To: Sylvia Caras <sylvia@peoplewho.org>, public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Dear Sylvia,

At 04:02 PM 7/2/2005, Sylvia Caras wrote:

>Some people who are deaf also do not read well.  Could provisions be made
>here for suggesting that signing videos by also used as a content option.
>
>(There is a suggestion here
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-20050630/#media-equiv-sign>1.2 L3
>SC1: for signing)

I think your suggestion most appropriately fits with Guideline 3.1 Level 3
Success Criterion #5 "
When text requires reading ability at or above the upper secondary
education level, one or more of the following supplements is available:
    * A text summary that requires reading ability no higher than primary
education level.
    * Graphical illustrations of concepts or processes that must be
understood in order to use the content.
    * A spoken version of the text content."
If you agree, then we can propose this to the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines Working Group. More information about the intent of this success
criterion is at:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-GENERAL-20050630/meaning-supplements.html>

Thank you,
--wendy