Re: Request for Review: WCAG 2.0

wac wrote:
 > if you only look at  three things, please review:
 > 1. checkpoint 1.1: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#text-equiv

a.. Example 4: an audio file of a speech. (short label + transcript)

An audio file is embedded in a Web page. The short label says, "Chairman's
speech to the assembly." A link to a text transcript is provided immediately
after the clip.

a.. JH - I would think deaf and hard of hearing people should have the
ability to read the text simultaneously as captions while the video clip is
being displayed rather than having the link to a separate transcript window
come up after the video is done.  The benefit here is to see the words as
they are spoken because it often relates to what is being shown on the
video - especially when the video is not showing a talking head but things
in action such as a news clip while the reporter voices over.

 > 2. checkpoint 1.2: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#media-equiv

Exception:
if content is rebroadcast from another medium or resource that complies to
broadcast requirements for accessibility (independent of these guidelines),
the rebroadcast satisfies the checkpoint if it complies with the other
guidelines.

JH - Not sure if I understand this right - what about news websites where
they show clips from previous television broadcasts that were captioned on
television but not on the web.  For example, I would like to see CNN or ABC
or FOX caption their web video clips.

 > 3. checkpoint 3.3: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#content-complexity

JH - no comment here.  I will review the entire document to make sure
nothing was left out and comment at a later date.  Thank you for the
opportunity!

Sincerely,

Jim House, Director
Member Services & Public Relations
TDI
8630 Fenton St. #604
Silver Spring, MD 20910
jimhouse@tdi-online.org
www.tdi-online.org
TTY: 301-589-3006
FAX: 301-589-3797
Voice: 301-589-3786
Pager: jimhouse@wyndtell.com
AIM: haus7hill
Video: 216.181.8.154 or ils.deafonline.com
Promoting Equal Access to Telecommunications and Media for People who are
Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Late-Deafened or Deaf-Blind