Re: Help with HLG profile

The TTWG's solution was borne out of expediency; I can check with the TTWG but from my perspective it would be great if we could define a reliably better way to do this.

Kind regards,

Nigel

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org<mailto:chris@w3.org>>
Date: Monday, 15 October 2018 at 11:28
To: Simon Thompson-NM <Simon.Thompson2@bbc.co.uk<mailto:Simon.Thompson2@bbc.co.uk>>, Lars Borg <borg@adobe.com<mailto:borg@adobe.com>>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>, Max Derhak <max.derhak@onyxgfx.com<mailto:max.derhak@onyxgfx.com>>, "public-colorweb@w3.org<mailto:public-colorweb@w3.org>" <public-colorweb@w3.org<mailto:public-colorweb@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Help with HLG profile

On 15-Oct-18 12:06, Simon Thompson-NM wrote:
 We believe that the best solution for HDR graphics would be to have the ability to have correct, working ICC profiles embedded in the image file (rather than using an incorrect profile with the ICC profile name as a key to induce specific behaviour in the decoding software, as proposed in the TTML group).

Yes, undoubtedly. And as you say, the question is whether a v4 profile can be constructed, or whether this really needs ICC Max.

I was very unhappy with the TTML solution, although I did get them to be clearer about exactly what they were doing (for example, that applying the embedded profile would give the incorrect result).

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus

http://www.bbc.co.uk