Re: D50 definition

Hi Chris

This discrepancy has been known for some time, and was discussed in a
paper I did at Electronic Imaging in about 2004.

The values in the ICC.1 specification [96.42, 100, 82.49] were those for
the 1931 observer and D50 illuminant as originally published in CIE
Publication 15. Unfortunately there was an error in the Z value, which
was corrected in CIE 15:2004 to 82.51. These values and the precision of
two significant places remain the same in the new version currently in
press.

ICC has discussed this on a number of occasions and it has been decided
that it would not be appropriate to change the D50 PCS illuminant value
for ICC.1, since this would require a change in CMMs, extensive
modification of installed code, and potential interoperability problems
with existing profiles. ICC.2, however, supports the use of the
corrected values as a custom PCS.

Note that values [0.9642,...] arise since by convention ICC encodes CIE
XYZ values normalised so that Y=1.0 rather than 100.

Phil Green

ICC Technical Secretary