From: Fredrik Hubinette [mailto:hubbe@google.com]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:41 PM
To: Pierre-Anthony Lemieux
Cc: Lars Borg; Chris Lilley; public-colorweb@w3.org
Subject: Re: PQ HDR in PNG - draft review

The TTLML2 gain value seems like a good idea. It is imilar in some sense to the wording
for how to deal with floats outside of 0-1 in the canvas-color-space<https://github.com/WICG/canvas-color-space/blob/master/CanvasColorSpaceProposal.md#the-pixelformat-context-creation-attribute>. However, I think it's confusing
to suggest that sRGB is 80 nits since almost all monitors in use today are brighter than that. It seems
like the tts:luminanceGain wording would lock legacy elements at 80 nits (aka "dark and dreary").

Would it be possible to drop the 80 lumens and just say that luminanceGain = 2 is twice as bright
as the default?

If we really need a way to match how PQ works, it might be better to have an absoluteLuminance
tag instead.  But personally I would prefer not to deal with absolute luminance as that is not compatible
with how I use my TV and monitor.

     /Hubbe

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com<mailto:pal@sandflow.com>> wrote:
Hi Frederik et al.,

>  Since non-HDR images are all in screen-relative brightness, it's impossible to make an PQ image
> which looks the same as a non-HDR image.

One approach is to specify an (optional) gain value to scale the SDR
image before compositing it onto HDR images.

This is the approach taken in recent TTML2 [1] draft, and has the
advantage of giving the author control because, sometimes, the white
point of the SDR image should be at 80/100 nits.

[1] https://w3c.github.io/ttml2/spec/ttml2.html#style-attribute-luminanceGain

> Suddenly all legacy apps become dark and gray, as windows translates them to 80 nits.

Using 80 nits as the default white point for SDR images is certainly
safe and conservative, but not appropriate in all cases. I think this
is an industry discussion, which hopefully we can have.

Hope this makes sense.

Best,

-- Pierre